Pandit Nirmalya Dey established his position as performer and teacher of Dhrupad in India and abroad. Inspired by his mother, he started initial Dhrupad training with Prof. Nimaichand Boral, who was a disciple of Ustad Nasir Moinuddin Khan Dagar. From 1988 he has taken advanced training from Ustad Zia Fariduddin Dagar, a celebrated master of Dagar tradition. Nirmalya Dey continued to actively learn from Ustad till he passed away in 2013.
Being one of the distinguished performers of the Dagar tradition, he has taken part in many prestigious festivals and concerts in India and abroad. At the beginning of his musical carrier, Pandit Nirmalya Dey was awarded the first prize at the national music competition organized by All India Radio, in 1979. As recognition in the field of dhrupad and for the excellence of achievement in this field, he was awarded with the senior fellowship by the ministry of Human Resource Department, Government of India.
Pandit Nirmalya Dey is a world renowned teacher and master of Dhrupad, who has taught in University of Delhi and Shriram Bharatiya Kala Kendra (Delhi) as a visiting lecturer. Over the past decades, Nirmalya Dey has participated innumerous Dhrupad festivals and conducted workshops all over the world including European countries and North America. As a long standing master of dhrupad, Pandit Nirmalya Dey has a large number of serious students. When he is not performing he generously devotes himself to teaching at the Dhrupad Gurukul in New Delhi, India.
Despite the demands placed on his schedule as a performer, Nirmalya Dey is a devoted teacher, grooming and initiating the next generation of artists in dhrupad. He has taught at the University of Delhi and Shriram Bharatiya Kala Kendra (Delhi) and conducted workshops around the world, including in Europe and North America. When not performing, Nirmalya teaches at the Dhrupad Gurukul in Delhi, India.
Download as pdf (full or short version)
Training and Diploma
- Initial training in Dhrupad received from the late Professor Nemai Chand Boral (Disciple of Ustad Nasir Moinuddin Dagar) from 1978 to 1987.
- Advanced training in Dhrupad received from Ustad Zia Fariduddin Dagar from 1988 to 2013.
- Diploma and Bachelor Degree Sangit Prabhakar (6th year diploma in vocal music) from Prayag Sangit Samiti, Allahabad in 1980.
- MA in vocal music from Indira Kala Sangit Vishvavidhyalay, Khairagarh in 1991.
Fellowships and Awards
- Top grade artist of the All India Radio and the national television channel (Doodarshan).
- Pandit Vasant Rao Thakar memorial fellowship conferred by Sanskriti Foundation, Delhi (2014)
- Senior fellowship from the Ministry of Human Resources Department, Government of India.
- Received Navdeep award from Navdeep Pratishthan, Ahmedabad as recognition of potential young Drupad singer (1993).
- Recipient of Surmani title from Surshringer Samsad, Mumbai, for excellence of Dhrupad singing (1991).
- First prize in the All India Radio Competition (1979).
Concerts and recordings
Nirmalya Dey gave recitals for All India Radio and for the National Television Channel (Doordarshan), Radio Sangit Sammelan, and performed in many festivals and solo concerts, including the following events:
Major performances in Europe:
- Guimet Museum (Museum of oriental art), a vocal-rudra veena duet with Baha’ud-din Dagar, Paris (2014)
- Darbar Festival at South Bank Centre, London (2014)
- Dhrupad Festival and solo concert, Utrech, Netherland, organized by Rasa (2013, 2014).
- Dhrupad concert in Casa de la India in Valladolid, Spain (2007).
- Concert tour in Spain and Poland, organized by the Indian Council for Cultural Relations (2007).
- Dhrupad concerts in Paris organized by the association Musiques d’Asie at: Maison des Cultures du Monde, Théatre Dejazet, Salle Adyar (2005) ; Eglise Américaine (2006).
- Rietberg Museum in Zurich, Switzerland (2001, 2005).
- Gasteig (Cultural Centre in Munich), Carlorf hall, Munich, Germany, organized by the Baierischen Rundfumk (Bavarian radio and television) and Raza Musik (2002, 2005).
- Theaterpädagogisches Zentrum, Innsbruck, Austria (2002, 2005).
- India music, Cultureli Vereniging Artishock, Soist, Netherland (2005).
- Centre Mandapa, Paris (1999, 2004).
- Maison de l’Inde (House of India), Paris (2003).
- Guimet Museum (Museum of oriental art), Paris (2003).
- Nehru Centre, London, organized by the Association Sargam (2002).
Major performances in the USA:
- At Washington University organized by Seattle Indian Music Academy (2012).
- Concerts organized by SPIC MACAY –Society for Promotion of Indian Classical Music And Culture Amongst Youth– in the Universities of Berkeley, Irvin (LA), and Kansas (2012).
Major performances in India:
- Sannidhi Festival, in vocal-rudra veena duet with Baha’ud-din Dagar, Mumbai (2015).
- Sunaad Classical Music Festival, India Habitat Center, Delhi (2015).
- Pandit Vasant Rao Thakar memorial concert, organized by the Sanskriti Foundation, India International Centre, New Delhi (2014)
- Tansen Festival, Gwalior (1994, 2001, 2012).
- Dhrupad Festival organized by the National Television Channel (Doodarshan), hosted by Ramakrishna Mission Institute of Culture, Kolkata (2012)
- Saptak Festival, Ahmedabad (2010).
- Dhrupad Festival organized by the National Academy for Music and Dance, Vrindavan (2009).
- Pt. Dayaram Music Festival organized by the Gujarat Sangit Natak Academy, Jamnagar (2001), Surat (2008).
- Dhrupad Festival organized by Ramakrishna Mission, Gwallior (2007).
- Bhakti Utsav Festival, organized by Seher in collaboration with, Delhi Govt. (2007).
- Harvallabh Music Festival, Jallandhar (1995, 1998, 2007).
- 16th Drupad Samaroh, organised by the Dhrupad Society, Delhi (1998).
- Baba Behram Khan Samaroh, organised by the Dhrupad Society, Jaipur (1996); etc.
- Concert tour in November 2008 : Alliance Française of Dhaka; Shilpa Kala Academy in Sylhet; Alliance Française of Chittagong.
Audio recordings (CD)
- Krishna Sewa - Haveli Sangeet (Pushtimargi devotional songs), published by Music Today (Living Media India Ltd, Delhi), 2002: music composer and performer. (add the picture of the CD and audio links in iTune, YouTube etc.)
- Tansen’s compositions, published by Music Today (Living Media India Ltd, Delhi), 2003: music composer, arranger and performer. (add the picture of the CD and audio links)
- Dhrupad solo, published by India Archives, US.
Workshops and teaching
Nirmalya Dey gives lectures-demonstrations and conducts dhrupad workshops in India and around the world.
- Dhrupad workshop in Varanasi (March-February 2016)
- Lecture demonstration on the art of dhrupad singing as per principle and practice laid down in Sangitaratnakara written by Sarangadeva at MAHAGAMI (Mahatma Gandhi mission of sangit academy) Aurangabad (January 2014)
- Master classes organized by the India Habitat Centre in Delhi (2014)
- Lecture-demonstration for the research fellows and faculty members in the Faculty of Music and Fine Arts, University of Delhi (November 2012), etc.
- Lecture-demonstration of the national advanced music and dance conservatory of Paris (2014)
- University of Amsterdam (2007)
- workshops at the Rotterdam Conservatory of World Music (2003, 2005, 2007)
- Casa de la India in Valladolid, Spain (2007)
- Cultural Centre of Chatillon Chalaronne, organized by the association Anaaghaat (2003 and 2005)
- London, organized by the Association Sargam (2002); etc.
In the USA
- workshops and conference demonstrations at the Vox Mundi Institute, San Francisco;
- Seatle Indian Music Academy; University of California Los Angeles (October-November 2012).
Nirmalya Dey has also taught in renowned institutions:
- Taught in Shriram Bharatya Kala Kendra, a pioneer institution of performing arts in Delhi (1998–1999).
At present he is also teaching advanced students at the same institute.
- Taught Dhrupad as a visiting lecturer in the Faculty of Music and Fine Arts, University of Delhi (1998-1999)